Saturday, February 18, 2012

The COLORS of India

It was no secret that I wasn't exactly "excited" for our trip to India.  It was one of those places that I told God I never wanted to go.

Stupid me.

I should know by now that you should never tell God you don't want to do something.  Because more often than not, that's exactly where God's plan usually leads.  So even though I wasn't excited about the trip, I can't say that I was shocked to find myself on a plane headed for India..

What I was shocked about, though, was that I didn't hate it as much as I thought I would.  Yes, it was dirty.  Yes, it was loud.  And yes, I saw many people pooping and peeing on the streets.  (Okay, that was quite shocking too...)  BUT,  it was fun to see an entirely different way of life so up close and personal.  Just a mere 4 hour plane ride from Thailand, we landed in a place that was drastically different from anything we'd ever seen.  Crowded streets, constant honking, crazy driving.  Heartbreaking poverty alongside of extreme wealth.  Beautiful faces, delicious food, and an unending myriad of colors.

I think that's what I enjoyed most about India.  It's colors.

See?


 A market


 Handmade tile


 Love taking pictures of old bikes


 A beautiful door in the middle of nowhere!  Gorgeous, just gorgeous!


How I picture India...


Peek-a-boo 


Indian skyline 


Waiting to worship the Ganges River 


Even roads that led to nowhere were beautiful 



Aren't the colors just stunning?

Speaking of beautiful... I also couldn't help but capture some of the gorgeous faces of India as well.
Oh wait, that's not an Indian face.  But it IS gorgeous! ;) 


 So pretty.


They loved seeing themselves on camera 


 Runny nose = So cute


I also have an obsession with taking pictures of cute old men.  Old bikes and old men.  Weird? 


He was a happy character 

Street kids playing 




Women sewing handbags and other fabulous accessories 


Woman block printing fabric


This woman kept asking me to take her picture.  I guess she wanted to show off how awesome she was at carrying such a heavy load!  I was impressed.

While I'd love to end the blog there, I would be lying if I didn't add in some of the more sad and disturbing things we saw in India...
Can you see the pig? :(


 Trash everywhere! 
Steven and I both couldn't get over just how much trash there was along the streets...


 Yep, he had just pooped.


 Walking around an outside mall and random areas like this would pop up


 That CAN'T be safe...


On the way to the river 


Hundreds of people come to worship the river every night


Random snake charmer outside our restaurant.  Just slightly concerning...

But to end things on a happy note, we did do some fun things while we were there, met some amazing people with inspiring businesses and ate lots of great food!  (I'm just gonna throw it out there, but Indian food is waaaaay better than Thai food.)
 The TAJ MAHAL!


 Just had to do it...


Looking back at the Taj


Indian food!  So yummy.


 At the foothills of the Himalayans


Visiting an IT business started by our good friend


Visiting a beautiful jewelry/paper business working among the slums


Visiting a handbag/accessory business that builds upon the skills of local workers
(More on this business later!)


 Visiting a handmade guitar business!  Such beautiful craftsmanship.


 Steven was in heaven!



Well India, it was fun.  Thanks for not giving me "Delhi Belly" a great trip!  Maybe, just maybe, we'll see you again  :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment